People

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Hero Pets

‘Protective’ Pooch Saves Owner During Pennsylvania House Fire

Updated

Source: Red Paw Emergency Relief Team/Facebook

Neighbors in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia are proud of one of their own.

A neighborhood dog named Che is credited with saving his owner’s life during a house fire on Sunday by sitting on her chest and shielding her from flames.

According to WPVI ABC Action News, who reported the story, early in the morning Andrea Bulat’s dog sounded the alarm by barking, an unusual time for the pup to be making noise, a neighbor said.

“When I looked out the window you could see the flames,” neighbor Anthony Daly told the station. “The whole first floor was engulfed.”

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they reportedly found the dog on top of an unconscious Bulat.

Neighbors believe the pup, which Daly described as “protective,” saved her from severe burns (Bulat is in critical condition at Temple University Hospital with burns over 50 percent of her body, the story said).

“The dog stayed on her chest the whole time, which prevented her from being burned totally,” neighbor Adele Butler said.

Now recovering at the Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services, Che is receiving oxygen to help him breath, according to an update on the Red Paw Emergency Relief Team’s Facebook page.

“We are very optimistic that he is over the hump and will be released in the next day or so,” the update says.

Neighbor Thomas Leszcewicz will likely never forget the dog’s heroics.

“I think it’s a beautiful thing, because I’ve always heard stories of where animals would help save their owners,” he told ABC Action News. “I’ve never lived one. Now I’ve lived one. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. That’s a beautiful thing, you know.”