People

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Pets

National Chocolate Day: Good For You, Bad For Your Pet

Posted on

Getty

Happy National Chocolate Day!

What a time of revelry and ooey-gooey deliciousness. Big Candy knew what it was doing when they put this important holiday right next to Halloween. Now we can have a whole cocoa bender until November comes around. But if you are a pet owner, you have to be careful during this time of celebration. Chocolate is toxic to pets. Ingestion of the sweets can lead to serious health problems, including death.

Trupanion, a health insurance provider for cat and dogs, has noticed a 71 percent increase in chocolate toxicity claims during the month of October. It is important to be extra vigilant when you have more candy around the house, and be aware of the signs of chocolate toxicity.

Chocolate is poisonous to pets because the caffeine and stimulant theobromine found in the candy. Both of these substances are harmful to cats and dogs. Ingestion of chocolate can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness and increased heart rate in your pet.

If you see these signs of chocolate toxicity or believe your pet has eaten chocolate, you should take your animal to the vet right away for treatment.

To prevent a Halloween trip to the veterinary E.R., keep candy out of reach and make sure your pets are kept in a safe and private space during Halloween.