People

Subscribe

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Pets

Close Call! Puppy Whacked By Wii Comes Back to Life

Posted on

If Santa brought you a Wii game console over the holidays, beware that you could be a danger to your pet when that remote is in your hand! A Michigan woman named Kathy White says she was bowling with hers and accidentally hit her new puppy in the head, making him fall lifeless to the floor. White says her 5-month-old puppy Ozzy was actually dead for a few minutes until a neighbor rushed over and resuscitated him.

“Ozzy was there and while I was bowling he jumped up and I hit him in the temple, of course on accident,” White tells PEOPLE Pets. “He dropped dead instantly of cardiac arrest and brain swelling. He was dead within like a second, he fell to the ground and his neck was one way, his leg was another, his tongue was hanging out. And of course I went frantic, it was horrible.”

White says she frantically called her neighbor, Pene Honey, who rushed over and administered mouth-to-mouth to Ozzy several times. “Finally he started breathing, not normally –erratic– but it was enough to get me to rush him to the vet,” she says.

Later at the vet’s office, the dog was given prednisone and the vet warned that Ozzy might not make it through the night. But he did, and after a long recovery (“He was in a drunken state for about four or five days,” says White) Ozzy is doing well and expected to recover.

“Right now he’s still not 100 percent,” says White, who adds that she cried for a week over the whole ordeal. “When I whistle he goes the opposite way. I’m hoping that comes back…either that or he doesn’t like me!”

White hopes her story, which came to our attention via WBBH in Michigan, will alert other Wii players to the potential dangers of playing the games around pets or children. “It was my mistake and I just want people to be aware of [it], good thing it wasn’t a child,” she says.