Let’s be honest, we all deserve this today.
Chris Evans, the star of Captain America, Gifted and many of our daydreams, is a certifiable delight. Please allow these 15 times he proved his excellence to make today, his 36th birthday, immeasurably better:
1. When he did the #22PushUpChallenge to raise awareness for veterans’ mental health and his adopted dog, Dodger, made an adorable cameo.
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) August 15, 2016
2. When he told PEOPLE about falling in love with Dodger at first sight.
“One of the last scenes we were filming [for Gifted] was in a pound, a kennel. I foolishly walked in and I thought, ‘Are these actor dogs or are these real up-for-adoption dogs?’ And sure enough they were, so I was walking up and down the aisles and saw this one dude and he didn’t belong there. I snagged him and he’s such a good dog. They aged him at about one, he acts like a puppy, he’s got the energy of a puppy, he’s just such a sweetheart, he’s such a good boy. He loves dogs, he loves kids, he’s full of love … He’s up for anything. God, dogs, they’re such great animals. I really can’t say enough about dogs, I’m a dog lunatic. He sleeps on my pillow, you wake up face-to-face.”
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! From me and this desperate social climber. pic.twitter.com/ZnT2TQDR0c
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 14, 2017
3. When he admitted to Seth Meyers that he used to cry a lot and immediately told his mom when he lost his virginity.
4. When he sang a duet with his brother, Scott, and then couldn’t stop laughing.
5. When he won his 2015 Super Bowl bet against Chris Pratt, but came through for the kids anyway.
The actors had agreed that the losing party would dress as his Marvel superhero and visit a children’s charity of the winner’s choice. Evans won the bet, but decided to deliver toys to both Christopher’s Haven in Boston and the Seattle Children’s Hospital because he is the best.
6. When he surprised Captain America fans with an escape room prank.
7. When he demonstrated his sultry dance moves with Elizabeth Olsen on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
8. When he had adorable things to say about ex and costar Jenny Slate, and ex-girlfriends in general.
“She’s my favorite human,” he told PEOPLE of Slate. “She’s the best. I’ve never ever, ever met someone in my life who has a mastery of the English language the way she does … It’s like an art form talking with her, because the visuals associated with her expression are just so colorful. She’s so vulnerable, so honest, so interested in other people more than herself, she’s incredibly compassionate, there’s just nothing to not love about her.”
“It’s very rare. But I’ve had no bad breakups in my life,” Evans later told Elle. “Typically, if I see an ex, I give a big hug, and it’s wonderful to catch up. If you’re ever fortunate enough to love someone and have them love you back, it’s worth protecting that. It’s rare that someone can truly know you. And if you’ve broken through that kind of wall, I think it’s important to value that.”
9. When he read a bedtime story for the BBC’s CBeebies.
10. When he freaked out while watching the Patriots win the 2017 Super Bowl in overtime.
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 6, 2017
11. When he and pint-sized Gifted costar Mckenna Grace were the most adorable duo ever.
12. When he walked Betty White to the People’s Choice Awards stage to accept an award.
13. When he scared Scarlett Johansson (in a friendly way).
14. When he was the best brother ever and took his sister to the Oscars … and then took his other sister the next year.
15. When he took on Jimmy Fallon in a game of “Frozen Blackjack” and endured having his pants filled with ice like a champ.