Sam Mason’s Pumpkin Pretzel Pie
This sweet and salty dessert from the owner of Oddfellows Ice Cream Co. is a showstopping end to the meal
½ 14.1-oz. pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
2½ cups canned pumpkin (from 2 15-oz. cans)
2½ tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
½ cup evaporated milk
4 large eggs
4 oz. salted thin pretzel sticks (about 2 cups)
Vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 425° . Fit pie crust into a 9½-inch deep-dish pie pan.
2. Beat pumpkin, condensed milk and baking soda with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt; beat 2 minutes. Add whole milk, evaporated milk and eggs; beat on low until eggs are incorporated, about 5 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 275°. Place pretzels in a 1-gallon ziplock bag. Seal bag. Using a rolling pin, crush pretzels into coarse crumbs. Pour pretzel crumbs through a fine wire-mesh strainer; discard any pretzel dust.
5. Spread pretzel crumbs on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until toasted, about 10 minutes.
6. Top pumpkin pie with toasted pretzel crumbs. Slice pie, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes, plus cooling