Clinton Kelly’s Grasshopper Ice Cream Sandwiches
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder Pinch of salt
½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1 pt. mint chocolate chip ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a stand mixer, beat together the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to cream for another minute until light and fluffy. Alternating, mix in a third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk, thoroughly combining the ingredients between each step. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Drop 24 (2-tbsp.-size) scoops of batter onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing the scoops about 1 in. apart.
5. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the tops are puffed and spring back when touched. Let cool for 5 minutes on the trays before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
6. Once cooled, spread a heaping tablespoon of ice cream on flat side of 12 cookies and top with remaining cookies. Place them in freezer for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes: 12 pies
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus cooling and freezing
Cook time: 15 minutes