Mindy Kaling’s Umami Burger Sriracha Cheeseburger
1 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
½ lemon, juiced
1½ tbsp. butter, melted
4 brioche buns, halved
1½ lbs. ground beef, shaped into 4-in. patties
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
4 slices white cheddar cheese
¼ cup pickled jalapeño slices
¼ cup onion strings (recipe below)
1. To make the Sriracha aioli, whisk together mayo, garlic, Sriracha and lemon juice in a bowl. Chill until ready to use.
2. Brush butter on both cut sides of buns and place on a hot pan or grill to toast.
3. Season burger patties evenly with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottom pan over medium-high heat, cook burgers about 4 minutes, until well seared on one side. Flip and cook another 3 minutes. Top with cheese slices and let melt, about 1 minute.
4. To assemble, spread aioli on top and bottom buns. Place burgers on top with jalapeños, more aioli and onion strings.
Makes: 4 burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 large yellow onion, cut into thin strips
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour or tempura flour
½ tsp. smoked paprika
Pinch smoked salt
1. Soak onion strips in buttermilk for about 3 hours. Drain and discard buttermilk.
2. Combine flour and paprika in a bowl, and toss in onion strips until well coated.
3. In small batches, fry onion strings in 1½ in. hot oil (375°) until crispy and light brown, about 1 minute. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate. Season with smoked salt.
Makes: 1 cup