Mario Batali & Michael Symon’s Mortadella Burger With Shasha Sauce
12 jarred hot banana peppers
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup prepared mustard
1 cup white wine vinegar
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1½ lbs. lean ground beef
Salt and black pepper
4 ¼-in. slices mortadella
4 sesame seed hamburger buns
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
12 slices dill or sweet hot pickle
2 cups prepared coleslaw
1. Remove tops from peppers and chop. Combine peppers with garlic, mustard and vinegar in food processor bowl, and purée. Cook purée and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together flour and ½ cup water until smooth. Whisk mixture into pepper mixture; cook until mixture thickens, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; cool completely. Chill mixture, covered, in a nonreactive container (like a glass jar), up to 1 month.
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400°.
2. Shape ground beef into 4 patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; cover and keep warm.
3. Cook mortadella slices in nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.
4. Toast buns with melted butter in batches, cut sides down, in nonstick skillet about 2 minutes or until golden.
5. Spread bottom halves of buns evenly with ShaSha sauce. Arrange mortadella, burgers, pickle slices and slaw evenly over buns. Top with remaining buns.