Julia Turshen’s Apple & Toasted Oat Muffins Recipe
The author of the Small Victories cookbook whips up a delicious treat
½ cup uncooked regular rolled oats
1½ cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. kosher salt
Pinch of ground cloves
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ cup whole milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup raisins
1 large Granny Smith, Fuji or Gala apple, peeled and diced
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place baking cups in 1 (12-cup) muffin pan.
2. Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet; bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until oats are golden brown and smell toasty, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir together toasted oats and 1½ cups of the flour in a large bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves. Stir in sugar, butter, milk, egg and vanilla.
4. Toss together raisins, diced apple and remaining 2 tablespoons flour until fruit is well coated. Add mixture to batter, and stir to combine. Using an ice cream scoop, spoon about 3 tablespoons batter into each of the 12 baking cups.
5. Bake muffins until browned and a wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days. Split and toast muffins under the broiler or in a toaster oven to refresh.
Makes: 12 muffins
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Mix 1 stick softened butter with your favorite ingredients for a sweet spread for your muffins
2 tbsp. raspberry jam + 2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
2 tbsp. honey + 1 tsp. flaky sea salt
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar+1 tsp. ground cinnamon