Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of eleven books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
It’s baa-aack! The yearly pumpkin invasion is upon us. Unfortunately, with great flavor comes great calorie counts — that’s why now is the time to start stockpiling recipes for healthy pumpkin treats!
This muffin recipe is the perfect one to start you off, since it’s simple and low in calories (each muffin has just 106 of ‘em). They’re perfect with yogurt for breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or as a light dessert. And if you’re looking for another pumpkin treat, blend up this guilt-free pumpkin milkshake ASAP.
WATCH THIS: How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
Perfect Pumpkin Spice Muffins
1½ cups whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
½ cup (about 4 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
⅓ cup Truvia spoonable no-calorie sweetener (or another natural brand that’s about twice as sweet as sugar)
¼ cup light whipped butter or light buttery spread
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional topping: powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a medium-large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Whisk until uniform.
4. Transfer contents on the medium-large bowl to the large bowl, and stir until just mixed. (Batter will be thick.)
5. Evenly distribute batter into the muffin pan, and smooth out the surfaces.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 16 – 18 minutes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Information: 1 muffin: 106 calories, 2g total fat (0.5g sat fat), 233mg sodium, 23g carbs, 3g fiber, 1g sugars, 4g protein