Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of eleven books, six of which debuted at number one on theNew York Times Best Sellers list. Read her blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
We’re in the thick of football season, which can mean Sundays spent eating food that’s less than wholesome. But let’s not talk about what you ate this past weekend while cheering on your team — let’s discuss what you should make next weekend.
These wings are incredibly simple to make, require no scary splattering oil, and won’t leave you feeling bogged down by the time the late game kicks off. They’re so decadent that none of your football-watching buddies will suspect they’ve been lightened up. Just cook the wings in a skillet, prep the sauce while they cook, and toss it all together. Touchdown!
WATCH THIS: Take 5: Five-Ingredient Chicken Wings
Hungry Girl’s Great Garlic Parmesan Wings
9 chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 wedges light creamy swiss cheese
2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
½ tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Optional: red pepper flakes
1. Season wings with salt and pepper.
2. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Lay half of the wings in the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Flip wings. Re-cover, and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
4. Repeat with remaining wings.
5. Meanwhile, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine cheese wedges, butter, garlic powder, and 2 tsp. water. Microwave for 40 seconds, or until cheese and butter have melted. Whisk until mostly smooth and uniform.
6. Place wings in a large bowl. Drizzle with cheese mixture, and toss to coat. Add Parmesan, and toss to coat again.
Nutritional information: 1/6th of recipe (3 pieces): 235 calories, 16g total fat (5g sat fat), 321mg sodium, 0.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 0.5g sugars, 19.5g protein
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
HG Tip: To remove the tips, pull them apart from the flats (the middle parts), making a “V” shape; then cut directly into the center of the “V.” To separate the wings, pull them apart so the tendon separates, and cut parallel to the drumette right at the tendon. When in doubt, ask the butcher to separate them for you.
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!