“Your guests will love the patriotic surprise inside when you start to slice,” says The Chew cohost
Carla Hall’s American Flag Butter Cake
1½ cups unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. table salt
2½ cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1¼ cups whole milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. blue food coloring
1½ tsp. red food coloring
4½ tbsp. strawberry jam
3 cups ready-to-spread buttercream frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter 3 (9×3-inch) round cake pans; line with parchment paper. Butter and flour parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Combine sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating on low speed until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
3. Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls (about 3 cups per bowl). Stir blue food coloring into 1 bowl. Stir red food coloring in another bowl. Leave remaining bowl white. Pour batter into prepared pans, and smooth top.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; run a knife around edge of cakes, and remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
5. To assemble: Split white cake layer and red cake layer in half horizontally. Spread a thin layer of jam on top of each half. Stack cake alternating red and white layers. Top with blue cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake and serve.
Makes: 1 (9-inch) cake
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 55 minutes