Halloween is just around the corner and to kick things off we’re sharing a week’s worth of festive Facebook Live videos. There will be plenty of spooky food and crafts involved — but first up are these adorable black cat cake pops.
You’ll start with the two main ingredients for cake pops: cake and frosting. Store-bought versions of both are totally acceptable and in any flavor you prefer. The trick to getting them to look like felines are almonds. After chilling the balls for 20 minutes in the freezer, stick two raw almonds in the top of each ball. Once the pops are covered in melted chocolate you’re left with a perfect cat-like shape.
Decorating the face of each kitty is also up to you. Use any shape sprinkle to make the nose, then pipe the eyes and whiskers with vanilla frosting. If a steady hand is not one of your many gifts, try using pretzel sticks for the whiskers and candy corn or round sprinkles for the eyes.
Chocolate Almond Black Cat Cake Pops
Makes: 21 cake pops
1 box chocolate cake mix
4-5 tbsp. chocolate frosting
2 (10 oz.) bags dark chocolate, melted
21 lollipop sticks
42 raw almonds
Star sprinkles (optional)
1 cup vanilla frosting
1. Bake cake according to package directions; cool completely.
2. Crumble cake into a large bowl until fine. Add frosting 1 tablespoon at a time till mixture is moist enough to hold a shape.
3. Shape mixture into 21 1½ -in. balls, and place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
4. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler over hot water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat. Dip the tip of the sticks into the melted chocolate and insert into the balls about one-fourth way. Freeze for 20 minutes.
5. When the balls are firm but not frozen remove from the freezer. Stick 2 almonds in the top of each ball half way to form ears. Dip each ball into the melted chocolate, shaking off any excess. Place a star sprinkle in the middle of each pop to form the nose, if desired. Allow pops to set in a styrofoam block for 10 minutes.
6. Fill a plastic ziplock bag with 1 snipped corner or a piping bag fitted with a No. 2 tip with frosting. Carefully pipe eyes and whiskers. Chill 1 hour before serving.