A police officer in California has been suspended with pay after being caught on video pulling his gun on an unarmed man who says he was just minding his own business outside his home.
Don McComas first spotted the officer circling his Rohnert Park neighborhood while he was in his driveway trying to hitch his boat to the back of his SUV. When the cop circled around once more, McComas quickly took out his cell phone and started recording. The officer did the same on his phone.
The video, posted on McComas’ Facebook page on July 29, caused outrage online. So far, the five-minute clip has been viewed 1.2 million times and by shared by nearly 25,000 users.
“Take your hand out of your pocket,” says the officer, who has not been publicly identified.
“No, sir. I’ve done nothing. I’ve done absolutely nothing. No,” says McComas.
“Seriously,” says the officer, drawing his gun.
“Put your gun down! Really?” says McComas as he empties the contents of his pocket on the hood of his own car.
“No, you don’t touch me, you don’t touch me,” says McComas, trying to keep his distance.
In the video, McComas keeps asking the officer why he’s at his home and if he’s being charged with anything.
As the tension escalates, McComas peppers the cop with questions. “Are you accusing me of a crime? Are you suspecting me of a crime?”
“If I did, I would arrest you,” the officer says.
Shortly after the cop leaves, “Go ahead, have a nice day, put it on YouTube, I really don’t care,” he tells McComas.
The officer has been placed on temporary paid leave while two investigations are underway. The city is bringing an outside investigator to conduct a full review of the incident, in addition to conducting its own internal investigation, Assistant City Manager Don Schwartz said in a statement, according to NBC Bay Area.
McComas has hired an attorney and plans to file a civil rights lawsuit against the city and its police department, the Press Democrat reports.
Before this incident, a relationship-building event had been planned for police and residents, but that’s since been canceled after the city received multiple threats following the video.
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.