Federal prosecutors charged Rahami with four crimes, according to CNN, including bombing a place of public use; destruction of property by means of fire or explosive; use of a destructive device during and in furtherance of a crime of violence; and use of weapons of mass destruction.
Rahami is charged in the Southern District of New York and the District of New Jersey, according to ABC News.
The charges were revealed in a Manhattan courthouse, according to the Associated Press.
Authorities allege that Rahami, 28, is the man behind a series of bombings last weekend in N.Y.C. and New Jersey, including a dumpster explosion in Chelsea that injured 29. He was arrested Monday following a shoot-out with police, officials said.
Under federal law, the non-fatal use of weapons of mass destruction carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
The “weapons of mass destruction” term itself is broad and can include homemade bombs, according to reporter Paula Reid.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Rahami was previously charged, in connection with that shooting, with five counts of attempted murder of law enforcement officials, second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon and second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, according to multiple reports.
Rahami has not entered a plea to the shooting charges or retained an attorney. It was not immediately clear if he has entered a plea to the federal charges.
Authorities say they are still investigating a possible motive, and federal officials previously told PEOPLE they were investigating Rahami’s overseas connections and possible ties to radicalism, if any.
New York officials, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo, have described the bombings as an act of terror.
U.S. Department of Justice representatives did not immediately return a call.