The suit, which alleged that the pop superstar fathered a child with 20-year-old fan Mariah Yeater, was dismissed last week, says TMZ.com. Her lawyers reportedly withdrew from the case following a call from Bieber’s lawyer, Howard Weitzman, threatening legal action.
A statement from Matthew Hiltzik, spokesman for Justin Bieber, was issued on Wednesday, echoing a previous statement. The new message said, “As we’ve said from the beginning, it’s sad that someone would fabricate such a malicious, defamatory and demonstrably false claim. We’ll continue to consider all of our options to protect Justin.”
The case was set to go to court Dec. 15, and Bieber, 17, was prepared to take a paternity test to prove he was not the father of Yeater’s 3-month-old baby.
Yeater, who was seeking financial support, may have also faced statutory rape charges. (In the state of California, the age of consent is 18, and Bieber would have been 16 at that time of the alleged sexual encounter, according to Yeater’s accusation.)
But Bieber was adamant about drowning out “the rumors” and “the gossip” from the get-go, he previously Tweeted.
“I know that I’m going to be a target,” he said two days after the suit was filed, “but I’m never going to be a victim.”