It started as every parent’s nightmare. Now, Jaycee Dugard’s mother hopes their 18-year ordeal can be a story of hope for the families of other missing children.
“All of us are doing very well under the circumstances,” Terry Probyn, 50, said in a statement Wednesday. “We especially appreciate everyone recognizing that what we need most right now is to be allowed to become a family again within a zone of privacy and security. We hope that our story focuses attention on all of the children still missing, and on their need to be found. We must keep looking for them. As Jaycee shows, miracles can happen.”
Probyn’s statement, released by the family’s new attorney, former federal prosecutor McGregor Scott, adds: “Jaycee, her daughters, and I are grateful for everyone’s generosity, kindness, and good wishes these past few weeks. Thank you.”
Dugard and the two daughters Jaycee allegedly had with Phillip Garrido – Starlit, 15, and Angel, 11 – are with Terry and counselors in an undisclosed location in El Dorado County, Calif., where Garrido and his wife Nancy will be tried on 29 counts including kidnapping and rape.
The statement comes one day after police from several local departments called an end to their weeklong search of the house and property in Antioch, Calif., where the Garridos allegedly kept Jaycee captive after her abduction. Searchers were looking for evidence in the disappearances of two other girls abducted shortly before Jaycee: Michaela Garecht and Ilene Misheloff.
Lawyer Scott explains that he met Jaycee and Terry last week and offered his services pro bono. “As everyone can imagine, there are a host of legal issues that the family confronts, especially the prosecution of Jaycee’s abductors,” Scott says. “In addition, the family faces an onslaught of media attention that the family understands but does not invite.”
He says the family also wants to make sure that there is only one trust fund established for the girls’ needs, at Viewtech Financial Services.