Courtesy The National Underground; Inset: Eric Ogden
Mike Fleeman
August 09, 2011 02:45 PM

It was sometime around 4:00 a.m. Monday that Gavin DeGraw was walking through New York’s East Village when “some kind of argument” broke out between him and a group of men he didn’t know, according to a police source.

The words escalated to violence and soon the “I Don’t Want to Be” singer was under attack by what New York newspapers are describing as a gang of thugs.

The dazed and badly injured DeGraw then somehow ended up about a mile away, only to be clipped by a taxi.

Someone called 911 and DeGraw was rushed by ambulance to Bellevue Hospital’s emergency room where he was treated for a broken nose, concussion and facial lacerations, and later released.

More than a day later, a number of questions remain about the attack, including the identity of the assailants, a motive for the violence, what DeGraw was doing on the streets early in the morning and how he was able get so far before the taxi incident.

RELATED: Gavin DeGraw: ‘I Don’t Remember Much’ from My Assault

His reps have only released two brief statements, one of them ending with: “We have no additional details at this time.”

And DeGraw, himself, says on his Twitter page: “Honestly, I don’t remember much.”

According to police sources, DeGraw’s recollections are clouded by his head injuries and the possibility he was intoxicated at the time. Police are hoping to find witnesses and security camera footage to fill in the gaps.

What is known is that DeGraw, who has a new album coming out next month and who has been touring with Train and Maroon 5, was apparently out alone at the time of the assault on the corner of 6th Street and 1st Avenue.

Why he was there at that hour remains under investigation, but DeGraw is a New York City resident and the attack site was close to a club he co-owns with his brother called the National Underground, where he was spotted Sunday night.

DeGraw told police that he encountered at least three individuals; various news reports say they were all men. A police source tells PEOPLE the “assailants were unknown to victim” and that DeGraw “can’t clearly recall” what they argued about.

After the assault, DeGraw then was next seen at 19th Street and 1st Avenue, 13 blocks away. Police sources say a 911 caller reported a man with a bloody shirt who appeared to be heavily intoxicated.

RELATED: Gavin DeGraw Hospitalized After Assault

By Tuesday morning, his reps issued an updated statement: “Gavin DeGraw is currently recovering and in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital where he was taken by ambulance after he was attacked by a group of assailants. He suffers from a concussion, broken nose, black eyes, cuts and bruises. The police are conducting an investigation of the attack.

“Gavin and his family appreciate everyone’s concern at this time. We have no information yet regarding his upcoming concert dates and promotion for his new album.”


You May Like