A former News of the World royal editor on trial in Britain’s notorious phone-hacking scandal admitted in a London court Wednesday that he personally hacked Kate Middleton‘s cell phone 155 times, including on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in 2005.
Clive Goodman was jailed in 2007 for hacking into phones belonging to three high-profile royal aides. Seven years later, the disgraced former editor also confessed to accessing Middleton’s voice mails and also hacking into Prince William‘s phone 35 times and Prince Harry‘s phone nine times – yet claims police never questioned him about it, reports the U.K.’s The Guardian.
“I’m really not the slightest bit proud of this,” Goodman told jurors. “I don’t want anyone to think I’m not ashamed.”
Goodman made his admission while under cross-examination by an attorney for former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, who is also on trial.
“My entire life has been exposed,” said Goodman, who returned to the witness stand after an eight-week break due to illness. “I’ve never been asked these questions … Anyone who wants to ask me questions, they will get straight answers as indeed you are getting today.”
Regarding Middleton, Goodman said on the stand that in 2005 Prince William’s then-girlfriend was a “figure of increasing importance around the royal family. There were discussions of her and Prince William marrying, moving in, settling down. She had started receiving royal status around the royal family.”
Earlier in the trial, jurors already heard that News of the World journalists listened to hacked messages from Prince William to Middleton, in which he called her “babykins.”