Harriet Sokmensuer
November 09, 2016 04:23 PM

The estranged wife of a once-missing South Carolina man allegedly killed by a possible serial killer was arrested Tuesday for impersonating a police officer in a possible attempt to find her husband, PEOPLE confirms.

Nichole Ellen Carver, 35, allegedly pretended to be an Anderson police officer to get access to phone records of husband Charlie Carver, 32, who was reported missing in August along with his girlfriend, Kala Brown, 30, Anderson police spokesman Captain Mike Aikens tells PEOPLE.

Carver allegedly wanted to geo-locate her husband’s phone, possibly so she could locate him after he went missing, Aikens says.

Last Thursday, Brown was rescued from a storage bin, where she had been chained, on a property owned by Todd Kohlhepp, a 45-year-old real estate agent. Kohlhepp allegedly confessed to a 2003 quadruple homicide and authorities suspect him in the deaths of seven people. Kohlhepp is currently only charged with four counts of murder from the 2003 deaths, Spartanburg County officials tell PEOPLE.

Upon her rescue, Brown alleged that Kohlhepp had abducted her and Carver and that she watched him fatally shoot Carver. During the time the couple was considered missing, mysterious Facebook messages appeared on Carver’s page along with an updated profile photo.

On Oct. 8, Nicole Carver allegedly called AT&T, her husband’s phone carrier, claiming she was a detective hoping to geo-locate the phone and potentially her husband, Aikens says.

AT&T became alarmed when Carver was allegedly unable to provide the correct badge number, Aikens says. The phone carrier company quickly notified police.

“She [allegedly] didn’t know how to spell the detective [she was impersonating’s] name,” Aikens tells PEOPLE. “She got it wrong twice.”

Tim Kimzey/The Spartanburg Herald-Journal/AP
Tim Kimzey/The Spartanburg Herald-Journal/AP

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Carver was allegedly kept on hold while AT&T called police and ascertained that she was not a police officer.

Authorities were granted a search warrant for a copy of the recorded phone conversation, which helped identify Carver as the suspect, Aikens says.

On Wednesday morning, Carver appeared in court for a bond hearing. She is being held on $2,500 and is set to appear in court again on Dec. 16, Aikens says. She has not been appointed an attorney or entered a plea, Aikens says.

You May Like