Steve Helling
November 17, 2016 05:16 PM

An Alabama man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to fatally shooting the man convicted of molesting his daughter, PEOPLE confirms.

Jay Maynor, 43, pleaded guilty on Monday the first-degree murder of Raymond Earl Brooks in 2014. He told his daughter, Julia Maynor, that he took the plea deal so that Julia wouldn’t have to go through the trauma of testifying about the abuse she endured during the murder trial.

Also on Monday, Jay pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder for shooting at a different man he believed had dated and physically abused his stepdaughter, according to court documents. The victim was not hurt and is not facing criminal charges.

Cullman County Sheriff's Office

A Family Tragedy

Julia was about 4 years old when she was first molested by Raymond Earl Brooks, her grandfather through adoption. The molestation continued for several years, and came to light when Julia was 8 years old, according to multiple reports.

Brooks pleaded guilty to the molestation in 2002. He was sentenced to five years in prison but served just 27 months of his sentence before being placed on probation, according to court records obtained by PEOPLE. He was then placed on the Alabama sex offender registry, PEOPLE confirms.

Julia, now a 24-year-old mother of three, said the abuse has had a lifelong effect on her.

“He took my innocence away, and now I suffer daily from what Raymond did to me,” she told

She told WYFF that she has gone through counseling, but still struggles with getting out of bed in the morning. (Julia could not be reached by PEOPLE.)

Cullman County Sheriff's Office

A Revenge Killing

On June 8, 2014, Jay got into a heated discussion with his daughter, according to reports. Angrily, he drove off on his motorcycle to confront Brooks. On his way, he stopped by a convenience store and shot at a man who he believed was abusing his stepdaughter. He missed.

Jay then continued to Brooks’ home, where she shot the 59-year-old twice in his front yard, according to reports. He was arrested later that day and charged with murder for Brooks’ death and attempted murder for shooting at the other man in the convenience store, according to the court documents.

But Jay decided not to ever face trial, in part because he wanted to protect Julia from having to recount her abuse in a courtroom, the documents state.

He was sentenced to 40 years for the murder and 20 years for attempted murder. Both sentences will be served concurrently, according to the documents.

“My father was protecting me, like a father should do,” Julia told “He is an amazing father — actually the best.”

You May Like