For the past 13 years, Kimberly Schlapman has been on the road with her Grammy-winning country group Little Big Town. But before she was singing “Pontoon” at sold out shows, Schlapman was at home learning her mother’s secret recipes.
“I always watched my mama,” she explains. “She was always cooking for people – when anyone had something to celebrate or grieve, she was at their door with supper or some kind of homemade goodie.”
Taking cues from mama’s specialties of biscuits and homemade pies, Schlapman’s style of southern comfort food is seen in her own cakes, casseroles and fried chicken. The singer is now passing down what she learned to her daughter, Daisy, and to her fans as host of GAC’s Kimberly’s Simply Southern.
Making delicious food in front of the camera is a dream come true for Schlapman, who says, “When I was a little kid, I would stand at the counter and pretend I was a cooking show host.”
The second season of Kimberly’s Simply Southern, which premieres Saturday (1 p.m. ET), will feature guest stars, including band mate Karen Fairchild, Josh Turner, Martina McBride and even supermodel Niki Taylor. But the sweetest guest will be daughter Daisy.
“She’s hilarious when she [cooks], because her measurements are crazy,” Schlapman says. “I like to keep things tidy, but she has so much fun and makes a disaster.”
Try Schlapman’s recipes below:
Chicken Cutlets with Lemon-Herb Butter
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 8 thin chicken cutlets (about 1 ½ – 2 lbs. total)
• All purpose flour for dredging
• 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
• ½ cup white wine (dry)
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp. each of chopped parley and tarragon
1. Pre-heat a sauté pan with olive oil.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge in flour and place into the sauté pan. Cook 4-5 minutes each side and remove from the pan.
3. Add butter and garlic to the same pan and let cook for one minute. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest, parsley, tarragon and salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Citrus Salad with Poppyseed-Lemon Vinaigrette
• 2 red oranges, segmented
• 2 navel orange, segmented
• 1 pomelo (or ruby red grapefruit), segmented
• 1 avocado, medium dice
• ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
• 1 head bibb or butter lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
• 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
• 1 lemon, juiced
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1 tbsp. honey
• Salt and pepper
In one bowl gently toss the salad ingredients. In another bowl add the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until it becomes emulsified. Toss the vinaigrette with the salad and top over lettuce.