America Ferrera kicked off the year with big news. The Superstore actress confirmed that she and husband Ryan Piers Williams are expecting their first child together in a social media post on New Year’s Eve. Ferrera, 33, broke the news on Instagram, writing, “We’re welcoming one more face to kiss in 2018! Wishing you #MásBesos in the New Year! #babybesos#HappyNewYear.” Here is a review of why we love the mom-to-be.
1. The Honduran-American star inspires with her genuine characters. From the sweet-natured but naive brace-face in the hit series Ugly Betty (2006–2010) to the seamstress who defies her bullying mom and works her way into the Ivy League in the 2001 film Real Women Have Curves, Ferrera’s roles push us to be better versions of ourselves.
2. She is outspoken. On Jan. 1, the actress — who joined the #MeToo list by admitting she had been sexually assaulted in her youth — shared a post supporting the Time’s Up campaign against sexual harassment.
3. She practices yoga! Ferrera had an ‘ohm’ moment on Nov. 11, when she shared a photo of herself at a yoga center. “Hope you take a moment today to find some restoration,” she wrote in her post. “I woke up exhausted, overwhelmed & a little grumpy from a demanding week. Moving and breathing at @aloyoga put a smile on my face!”
4. She enjoys boxing. Ferrera celebrates her Latina curves, but also maintains an active lifestyle. The actress shared a photo with a friend during a sweat session at the gym on July 29. She also put on the boxing gloves with her husband for a fun workout on July 24. “When you’re trying to look like a badass after boxing, but your boo ruins the vibe with his all smiles,” she joked in the caption.
5. She is an animal lover. The actress shared this endearing photo with her dogs on Sep. 17. “Sunday vibes. Napping in a puppy pile,” her caption reads.
Ferrera, who celebrated 12 years with her husband in summer 2017, is now preparing for her most challenging role: Mom.