Brought to you by the editors of People en Español.
As Halloween approaches, we’re obsessively Insta-stalking our favorite beauty vloggers for professional tips and creative inspiration. Colombian beauty Laura Sanchez is definitely on the top of our go-to tip list. She never fails to wow us–and her 1.1 million YouTube subscribers–with her artistry.
One of our favorites is her elevated take on the traditional sugar skull. Catrinas, as they’re also known, are iconic masks worn on the Mexico’s Day of the Dead. For those looking to partake in the celebration this year, re-create Sanchez’s modern take below in 11 easy steps.
- Prepare the face with foundation and concealer to get an even skin-tone.
- Use hot pink eyeshadow, instead of a bronzer, to lightly contour the face.
- Eyeshadow, in Woodstock, Urban Decay. $19. sephora.com
- Create a neutral smoky eye and add black eyeshadow on the outer edges of the lids.
- Artistique Eyeshadow, in Noir Le Plus Noir, Surratt Beauty. $20. sephora.com
- Draw on a cat-eye using a black liquid eyeliner and add oomph to the lashes with a volumizing mascara
- Using a white pencil, trace a circle around the sockets of the eyes to create a roadmap for the faux-pearls.
- Eye Widener, E.L.F. $1. elfcosmetics.com
- With eyelash glue, glue the pearls on the traced circles, placing medium-sized pearls near the bridge of the nose and larger ones around the eye.
- Make cheekbones pop by contouring with deep purple eyeshadow, and use the same shade to trace teeth shadows above and below the lip.
- Eyeshadow, in Matte Purple, Black Up. $21. sephora.com
- Glue medium-sized pearls on the top and bottom lips, and add small on top and bottom to frame them.
- With smaller and tiny pearls, create details on the cheekbones, forehead, and above the eye socket to create more detail.
- With a small brush, add depth to the teeth with black shadow.
- Shade + Light Contour Brush, Kat Von D. $27. sephora.com
- Finalize with a wig to make the look even more fantasy-like.
- Find a wide variety on target.com