Sometimes witnessing someone’s embarrassment can be just as unbearable as feeling it yourself.
Here are 13 cringe-worthy tales of the most embarrassing things people have ever witnessed.
1. “I was in a class with about 50 other people when this really quiet guy stood up and started to play “Gangnam Style” out of his phone and started doing the dance with a wide grin on his face. Nobody laughed, and so he sat down after about ten seconds of singing and dancing, and the lecturer proceeded to carry on with lecture.”
2. “When I was in the 7th grade in history class, we had an in-class assignment that required us to read a passage from the textbook and then summarize it in a skit for the class. I was grouped with a good friend who we can call Karen and a girl who was known for being really socially awkward who we will call Janice. Janice was that type of socially awkward that tried really, really hard to be ‘cool,’ but failed miserably.
“Our passage was about cattle herding, and for some reason, Janice got it into her head that it would be hilarious to hum the Star Wars theme song, but instead of regular humming, moo it. She tried to convince us, but Karen and I did not want to get destroyed by our classmates, so we refused. When it was our turn, we completed our skit and started to sit back down and Janice looks at us and screams ‘PLEASE?!’ and we both just shook our heads. She burst into tears, and explained that she wanted to do something cool for the performance but we refused, so could she please do it on her own? The teacher told her to go ahead. Janice, still sobbing, stood in front of the class and moo-ed the entire Star Wars theme song, but the tune was unrecognizable, since she was sniffing and gasping in between moos.”
3. “I was stuck on a cruise ship for three days after my friend proposed to his girlfriend on the first day, and she said no. That same first night, she made out with some random guy in the hot tub.”
4. “A guy got called out by our teacher for plagiarizing while he gave a report in front of the class on a book we read. In particular, she asked what ‘in lay thinking’ meant, and he stood there for a good ten seconds of silence before she lectured everyone on not copying from other sources.”
5. “In middle school, a kid decided to don his karate outfit and break a brick for the talent show. This intense music starts playing, and he comes out. He bows his head and … ‘HIYAA!’ Hits the brick. It doesn’t break. He tried a couple more times. It remained unperturbed. He stomped off the stage in tears, I’m sure to console him people told hi, ‘No one will remember this is ten years!” It’s been ten years. I still remember him as the kid who couldn’t break the brick.”
6. “I recently went to a wedding where the groom had 5 or 6 different groomsmen, and they all gave a speech. The first few were pretty good and funny. The last guy that went tried way too hard to make it funny. He started off with some lame cliché joke about how the bachelor party was crazy and that they’d never talk about it again. He actually paused and waited for laughter, and not a single person laughed out of over 150. Then his hands started shaking, and he kept losing his place. I think he eventually gave up after about 2 minutes of torture and just said, ‘To the bride and groom!’ It was horrific.”
7. “I was at a friend’s brother’s 21st and was standing around talking with some other guys. On the driveway, a bunch of girls were dancing to the music. It was a really chill night. The guy next to me said to the guy on his other side, ‘How about the rack on that blonde chick?’ The other guy replied, ‘That’s my daughter.’ The first guy mumbled something and left at a brisk walk.”
8. “I have this uncle who is extremely cheap and once took us out to dinner. After he got the bill, he asks for the menu again and takes out his calculator and starts double checking the bill prices and menu prices. This goes on for 15 minutes while the waiter patiently waits next to the table. At the end he realizes he forgot his wallet and asks us to pay.”
9. “Whenever my mother yells at someone who has no control over the situation, like yelling at the cashier for not knowing the price of chopped onions off the top of his head.”
10. “My sister was on a first date with some guy she met online and was nervous so she had my boyfriend and me meet up with them. The guy was super braggy about being able to speak German, not knowing that my boyfriend was raised there and speaks it fluently. So my boyfriend tries to start a conversation with him in German. The guy apparently only spoke a few words of German and left embarrassed (and without any chance of a second date).”
11. “My ex would come out for dinner with my parents and, knowing he wouldn’t have to pay, would always order the most expensive thing on the menu. One time in particular we all ordered pasta dishes that were about $10 each and some tap water for the table, and he ordered a $30 steak with sides and a beer. I’ve never felt more embarrassed in my life.”
12. “Classmate stopped halfway through singing the national anthem at our homecoming football game. She ran off the field in tears. I felt so bad for her. I could tell she wasn’t going to make it through the song the instant she started to sing. That tremble in her voice, man.”
13. “I was sleeping over at my friend’s house in 7th grade. I was trying to sleep on the floor when his parents decided to have very loud, wall-rattling sex. I laid there trying to fall asleep for about 15 minutes, when a loud shriek hinted that it was over. I kind of laughed a little and my friend, who I thought was sleeping, just says, ‘I am so sorry.’ We awkwardly laughed about it and then went to bed.”
All stories have been edited from Reddit for length and clarity.