Nicole Weisensee Egan
June 27, 2016 12:15 PM

For Kristina Ruehli, suing entertainer Bill Cosby for defamation was never about money.

It was about clearing her name.

So on Friday, June 24, one day after a federal judge denied Cosby’s motion to dismiss her case – a huge victory for her – she withdrew her lawsuit.

“I put my money where my mouth was – I spent nearly $100,000 on lawyers – to prove that I was telling the truth about this monster,” Ruehli, 73, tells PEOPLE. “I have stood up for myself. Now it’s time to go back to my happy life, lose some weight and weed my garden.”

Andrew Wyatt, Cosby’s spokesman, quickly released a statement declaring the withdrawal a victory.

“This is now the second of these defamation cases that has been dismissed, either by a Court or by a party,” the statement said. “We hope and expect that there will be more, and we look forward to fighting any that are not dismissed, before a jury of our peers.

“For those in the media who accepted every allegation raised without question or evaluation” the statement went on, they need to answer the well-known question with respect to Mr. Cosby, ‘Which office do I go to get my reputation back?’

Wyatt’s response made Ruehli laugh.

“How else are you going to spin it?” she says. “They were completely taken by surprise.”

Ruehli, of TK, New Hampshire, says Cosby drugged and tried to sexually assault her in 1965 when she was a secretary for his talent agency in Los Angeles.

Cosby came into the agency’s offices in December 1965, said he was going to be on a television variety show and invited she and others to a party at his home afterward, according to her lawsuit.

She arrived about 10 p.m., “expecting others would have already arrived,” but “the house was nearly empty,” the lawsuit says.

“Mr. Cosby invited Ms. Ruehli in and told her that his wife was out of town,” the suit says. “He brought her to a bedroom where an infant was asleep and showed her the infant.”

She accepted two drinks from him and “passed out” after the second one, the suit says.

“After an unknown period of time, Ms. Ruehli regained consciousness and found herself on a bed with Mr. Cosby,” the ssuit says. “She was naked. Mr. Cosby had his penis in her face and his hand on the back of her head attempting to..force her to give him oral sex.”

Instead she ran to the bathroom and threw up several times. When she returned from the bathroom he was gone, she says. She dressed, found her way out of his home and left..

She told her boyfriend at the time what happened.

“Our personal reaction, aside from being stunned, was ‘Ew. What a creep!’ ” she says. “It was not like I was traumatized.”

She never even thought about going to the police about it, she says.

“It was 1965,” she says. “There were no rape kits. But he had not violated or penetrated me. No one would have believed me.”

She quit the talent shortly afterward and never saw Cosby again.

“I went on with my life,” she says. “I went back to UCLA, got a law degree and ended up going into corporate finance.”

She didn’t think about what happened again until early 2005, when she heard about Andrea Constand’s allegations against Cosby.

She reached out to Constand’s attorneys and became Jane Doe #12 in Constand’s 2005 lawsuit against Cosby (which he later settled.

“I thought it was the right thing to do,” she says.

After the scandal began bubbling up again in late 2014, Ruehli once again came forward, this time allowing her name and photograph to be used.

“I thought, ‘I guess I’m going to have to do this again,’ ” she says. “I didn’t expect it would become the spectacle it did.”

She filed a defamation lawsuit against Cosby in November 2015 after one of his representatives issued a statement casting doubt on her claims and others.

Since then she’s kept quiet, letting the legal system run its course.

In April, her attorneys took a deposition from the ex-boyfriend she’d told about Cosby allegedly drugging and trying to sexually assault her shortly after it happened. He corroborated her story, according to a copy of the deposition obtained by PEOPLE.

Then she set her plan to end the lawsuit on her own terms in motion, she says.

“We decided we’d play it this way – let’s get the denial of his motion then immediately release the transcript and withdraw the case.

“I’m satisfied that with the deposition transcript I’ve cleared my name,” she says. “I had been called a liar. I had a great big red ‘L’ painted on me.”

She also wanted to spare her ex-boyfriend and other aging witnesses “the trauma of coming out of their own private world and dragging them into court,” she says.

“At some point there’s a sense of decency you have to have, ” she says. ”

“I have a very happy life,” she added. “I have spent all the money on this that I want to spend. This could go on for years. I could spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this. Why bother? I have vindicated myself.”

However, she says she would help any other Cosby accusers with their lawsuits if asked and would help in the criminal case against Cosby if need be.

“I would speak up for any of them because that’s what I was doing in the first place by coming forward – adding my voice to theirs,” she says.

You May Like

EDIT POST