Cassidy Podell – better known as DJ Cassidy – can add Barack Obama to his roster of high-profile clients.
The well-known deejay, who also handled Beyoncé and Jay Z’s top-secret nuptials, was tapped for yet another ultra-confidential feat: to come up with a play list for Tuesday’s Mid-Atlantic Ball, to mark the inauguration of the 44th President.
Cassidy, 27, was recommended to the Obamas by none other than Oprah Winfrey, who hired him to deejay the opening of her girls’ school in South Africa.
In addition to spinning a selection of tunes to get the ball rolling, Cassidy also provided a CD to be played at each of the nine other official balls.
Below are some of the songs he played for the big event, as well as his explanations to PEOPLE of why he picked each tune.
• “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours),” Stevie Wonder
The song that played throughout Obama’s campaign will surely get the party started.
• “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now,” McFadden & Whitehead
The title says it all.
• “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
There was simply no mountain high enough to keep change from coming.
• “I’m Coming Out,” Diana Ross
The ideal introduction for a new leader and a new day.
• “Wanna Be Startin’ Something,” Michael Jackson
The perfect song for a new beginning.
• “Love Train,” The O’Jays
We are one! “People all over the world, join hands!”
• “Pride (In The Name Of Love),” U2
A song written about Martin Luther King, Jr., couldn’t be more fitting.
• “We Are Family,” Sister Sledge
The classic dance-floor anthem for coming together.
• “Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher,” Jackie Wilson
A true song of hope.