On April 29, 2011, all eyes will be on Prince William as he weds his future princess Kate Middleton at Westminster Abbey. This royal wedding, however, is not the first big event to take place on this late April day.
Here’s a look back on some other milestones:
• April 29, 1429, Joan of Arc left her mark on history by leading troops in Orleans, France to victory over the English.
• April 29, 1967, Aretha Franklin debuted her signature song “Respect,” which later earned her two Grammy awards – Best Rhythm And Blues Recording and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
• April 29, 1967, Muhammad Ali stripped of his boxing crown after refusing to join the Army citing religious reasons.
• April 29, 1968, Hair, the first Rock Musical criticized by some for its trippy take on sexuality, illegal drugs and the Vietnam War, introduced the Age of Aquarius to the Great White Way.
• April 29, 1980, Alfred Hitchcock dies at 80.
• April 29, 1996, the Howard Stern Radio Show hit the air waves for the first time in Fresno, Calif., on KFRR 104.1 FM.
• Happy Birthday Jerry Seinfeld, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, Carnie Wilson, Eve Plumb and Andre Agassi, and everyone else born on April 29.
• Happy Anniversary to couples before William and Kate that chose April 29 to wed, including: Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson (1988), Diane Sawyer and Mike Nichols (1988) and Princess Irene of the Netherlands and Carlos Hugo, Duke of Parma (1964). Adolf Hitler also married Eva Braun in a Berlin bunker April 29, 1945 – they committed suicide the next day.