Tom Brady, be warned: Eli Manning isn’t just a lethal force on the football field. He knows his way around the kitchen, too.
The New York Giants quarterback’s specialty? Lace cookies – an old favorite in the Manning household. “My mom made these cookies for us all the time and they are my favorite,” says Eli, 31. “She still makes them every time I make a visit home.”
The recipe (below), comes from Loukoumi’s Celebrity Cookbook, featuring the favorite childhood recipes from than 50 stars, including Beyoncé, Reese Witherspoon, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Aniston, Betty White and many more.
“What makes these recipes so special is that they are favorite childhood memories, and I am so grateful to Eli Manning and all the celebrities for sharing a little bit of their childhood,” author Nick Katsoris says of the book, whose proceeds benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Chefs for Humanity.
He adds: “The secret ingredient in cooking and in life is to ‘Never give up!’ Eli Manning and all these wonderful celebrities in the book are perfect examples of this lesson.”
Want to make Eli’s favorite cookies? Try the recipe below:
Eli Manning’s Lace Cookies
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 tbsp. flour
2 cups white sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 sticks melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Put the oats, flour, sugar & salt in to large bowl & mix well.
2. Pour very hot melted butter over mixture & stir until the sugar has melted.
3. Add eggs & vanilla. Stir well.
4. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
5. Cover cookie sheets with ungreased aluminum foil.
6. Drop ½ level teaspoons of the mixture on foil – 2 inches apart.
7. Cook about 10-12 minutes.
8. Watch carefully. When cookies are completely cooled, foil will peel off.
9. Store in airtight containers.
10. Makes about 6 dozen.
Recipe reprinted by permission from Loukoumi’s Celebrity Cookbook: Featuring Favorite Childhood Recipes by over 50 Celebrities, by Nick Katsoris. Copyright (c) 2011 by NK Publications, Inc.