America’s favorite barbecue food isn’t always the healthiest: A juicy cheeseburger sitting on a bun with all the trimmings can set you back a lot of calories. But not this burger, from slimmed-down Food Network host Gina Neely (of Down Home with the Neelys), which is served on a lettuce leaf and uses lean ground beef.
If you’re worried about how delicious your burger will taste, well, fear not, Nelly tells PEOPLE. “I’ve removed most of the carbs but it doesn’t sacrifice the burger flavor,” she promises. We agree!
Cali Lettuce-Wrap Burger
• 10 oz. lean (85%) ground beef
• ½ tsp. kosher salt
• ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• Several dashes of Worcestershire sauce
• ½ medium red onion, sliced
• 4 large lettuce leaves
• ½ beefsteak tomato, sliced
• Toppings: ketchup, mustard
1. Preheat grill to 350 to 400 degrees F (medium-high). Combine beef, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Shape mixture evenly into 2 patties.
2. Grill burgers and onions on lightly oiled grill rack, covered with grill lid, 2 minutes on each side or until onions are soft and burgers are desired degree of doneness.
3. Place lettuce leaf on serving plate; top with burger, onion, tomato, desired toppings and remaining lettuce leaf. Repeat procedure; serve immediately.