Despite an apology for her remarks blaming the earthquake in China on the country’s karma because of its human-rights history, this year’s Shanghai International Film Festival refuses to roll out the red carpet for the American actress.
Stone, 50, had attended the 2007 event, but no invitation for the June 14-22, 2008, gathering will be forthcoming, fest spokeswoman Tang Bing said Wednesday, the Associated Press reports.
Furthermore, according to Tang, festival organizers dispatched a letter to the Basic Instinct star, protesting her comments and demanding an apology.
Calling her recent comments (originally made at the Cannes Film Festival) a surprise, Tang said that festival organizers had previously been impressed with her charity work and appearance last year at their event.
“She showed her affinity for the Chinese people and her affinity for Shanghai,” according to Tang. “She didn’t say any bad things.”
Stone’s Hollywood rep did not return a call for comment.
Like this story? Click on the Yahoo Buzz! button below to Buzz it up!