People

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Celebrity

Scott Weiland Died of Accidental Overdose from Mix of Cocaine, Alcohol, and MDA: Medical Examiner

Posted on

Scott Weiland died of an accidental overdose, according to officials.

On Friday, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office in Minnesota said a mix of cocaine, ethanol (alcohol), and MDA (a relative of ecstasy) led to the rock star’s death. The press release, obtained by PEOPLE, also mentioned Weiland’s history of cardiovascular disease, asthma, and multi-substance dependence as “significant conditions.”

Weiland died at the age of 48 on Dec. 3 while on tour with his band The Wildabouts in Bloomington, Minnesota. Police said “detectives collected several items of evidence from inside the tour bus” where Weiland died, including a substance that "field tested positive as cocaine." (Tourmate Thomas Delton Black was arrested for drug possession.)

The former Stone Temple Pilots singer was survived by wife Jamie Wachtel and two children he shared with ex-wife Mary Forsberg Weiland – Noah, 15, and Lucy, 13.

“The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting,” wrote Mary in an emotional Rolling Stone piece touching on Weiland’s addiction issues. “But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.”