In yet another surprising development in the Republican presidential campaign, vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin confirmed in a statement Monday that her 17-year-old daughter Bristol is five months pregnant.
Alaska governor Palin, who was selected to be John McCain’s vice president last week, said, “Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.”
Bristol plans to marry the father of the child, 18-year-old Levi Johnston, Palin continued in the statement. “Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family.”
The 44-year-old governor released the statement to combat a rumor that Bristol may have been the mother of Palin’s youngest son, Trig, who was born in April.
The McCain campaign confirmed it was aware of Bristol’s pregnancy before it selected Palin and said it did not affect McCain’s choice.
• VIDEO: Sarah Palin’s Early Sportscaster Days
• John McCain & Sarah Palin on Shattering the Glass Ceiling
• Five Things You Didn’t Know About Sarah Palin
• John McCain Picks Sarah Palin as Running Mate
• Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant at 16
• Six teen moms share their stories of being young and pregnant