The world breathlessly awaited the July 22 birth of the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William‘s yet-to-be-named son – and PEOPLE was there for every moment from Kate’s arrival in London to the debut of the waving newborn!
Since the moment the birth of the Prince of Cambridge was announced, there has been a whirlwind of activity for William and Kate. “It’s very emotional,” she said. “It’s a moment that any parent having just given birth will know what this feeling feels like.”
• The big reveal: The glowing new mom and doting dad showed off their addition on Tuesday to a crowd of screaming admirers after releasing a joint statement thanking “the staff at the Lindo Wing and the whole hospital for the tremendous care the three of us have received.”
• First visitors: Kate’s mom and dad, Michael and Carole Middleton, came to the hospital first and gushed about their “absolutely beautiful” grandson. Prince Charles and wife Camilla also stopped by in the early evening.
• Proud grandpa: Prince Charles shared his excitement about becoming a first-time grandfather, saying, “Grandparenthood is a unique moment in anyone’s life, as countless kind people have told me in recent months, so I am enormously proud and happy to be a grandfather for the first time.”
• Extended family: Princess Diana’s brother Charles Spencer expressed his excitement over the baby news, while reminiscing on when he found out William was born.
• Star sign: London-based astrologer Yasmin Boland told PEOPLE that the infant will be “a very sensitive child who needs a lot of nurturing. But being a Cancer, he’ll be a self-starter and very dynamic when he grows up.”
For exclusive details and photos of William and Kate’s first days as parents, pick up PEOPLE’s special commemorative royals issue, on newsstands Friday
More on the Royal Baby:
• The Only 5 Photos You Need to See of the Royal Baby
• How Royal Babies Make Their Grand Debut
• See How the World Welcomed the Royal Baby
• What Will Kate & William Name Their Baby?
• Will & Kate’s Road to Parenthood