It’s a big week for musical releases, with several major recording stars dropping their latest efforts, which means it’s decision time for listeners.
Among the more buzzed-about new albums are:
• Cher and Christina Aguilera, the Burlesque soundtrack. Christina delivers eight of the 10 songs on this film soundtrack, while Cher contributes the other two – her first original recordings in seven years. It includes the single “Express,” which Christina performed at the American Music Awards.
• Jessica Simpson, Happy Christmas. Jessica’s second Christmas album (after 2004’s Rejoyce) includes standards like “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” as well as two Simpson originals – one of which, “My Only Wish,” is the lead-off track and first single.
• Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kanye’s fifth studio album is already being hailed as an epic masterpiece, earning a rare perfect-10 review from Pitchfork for its varied musical styles, lavish production and extravagant lyrics.
• Kesha, Cannibal. A nine-song companion to her platinum-selling debut album Animal, the new effort features eight brand-new songs and a new remix of the first album’s title track. It includes the anthemic new single “We R Who We R,” written about anti-gay bullying.
• Nicki Minaj, Pink Friday. The Trinidad-born, Brooklyn-raised rapper, who has performed several cameos on albums by rap royalty over the past year, finally drops her own studio album. And this time, it’s A-listers like Eminem, Drake, Rihanna and Kanye West himself who are doing the superstar cameos on her record.
Any of these albums strike your fancy? Tell us below.