Stay Connected


Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content


Pokémon Toy Warning

Posted on

Zachary Jones, a 4-month-old Indiana boy, choked to death on a Burger King Pokémon ball on Tuesday, prompting the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue its second nationwide alert in a month over the promotional toy. The container for one of the Poké Balls, a tennis ball-sized hollow red-and-white plastic toy that opens clamshell-style, became lodged over Zachary’s mouth and nose. Late last year, millions of such balls were given away with Burger King children’s meals. Their wrappings contained no warnings, and, in fact, described the toy as “safety tested and recommended for all ages.” On Dec. 27, the fast-food chain issued a recall for millions of Poké Balls in the wake of the Dec. 11 suffocation death of a Sonora, Calif., girl who was found in her playpen with half a ball covering her nose and mouth.