Now you can indulge in a burger and fries – with fewer fat and calories – with these turkey burgers and oven-baked fries from Patti LaBelle’s newest cookbook, Patti LaBelle’s Recipes for the Good Life!. “Lean ground turkey can be pretty dry,” LaBelle writes, “but I think that my additions make these burgers as tasty as a juicy, beef burger.” Try pairing it with her quick and easy oven-baked fries, which she says “really satisfies my longing for the standard without the addition of all the calories from the frying.” (To buy her new cookbook – and DVD In the Kitchen with Miss Patti – check out PattiLaBelleFoods.com)
2 tsp. canola oil
½ cup minced onions
1 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 large egg white
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup crushed stuffing mix
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
LaBelle Pepper Clear Mild Pepper Sauce to taste (available at PattiLaBelleFoods.com)
6 toasted hamburger buns
1. Preheat and oil the grill.
2. Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, parsley and poultry seasoning and sauté for about 3 minutes or until the onions are soft. Remove from heat.
3. Place the turkey in a mixing bowl. Add the egg white and, using your hands, squeeze to blend. Add the cranberries and stuffing mix and, again using your hands, mix well to blend. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Form the mix into 6 patties of equal size. 4. Place the burgers on the grill and cook for 6 minutes. Turn and grill for another 5 minutes for well-done. You want the meat to be cooked through, but take care not to over do it, as the lean turkey will quickly dry out.
6 Idaho potatoes
3 tbsp. canola or olive oil
1 tsp. chili powder
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Make a big bowl of ice water. Set aside.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them, lengthwise, into traditional French fries. As you cut, put the potatoes into the ice water.
3. When all of the potatoes have been cut, let them sit in the ice water for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
5. Remove the potatoes from the water and pat dry with paper towel. They must be completely dry.
6. Place the potatoes on a rimmed, nonstick baking pan. Add the oil, chili powder, salt and pepper and toss to coat. 7. Spread the potatoes out in a single layer and place in the preheated oven. Bake, turning occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked though and golden brown.
8. Using a slotted spatula, remove the potatoes to a double layer of paper towel to drain.
9. For extra zip, serve with Patti’s special ketchup miz – 1 cup sugar-free ketchup, 3 tablespoons LaBelle Hot Flash Hot Sauce, 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 teaspoon lemon juice.