You don’t need to be Jack Sparrow to enjoy a drink called the “Privateer Punch!”
So break out the rum – like its fellow liquors, rum has its own national holiday on Aug. 16 every year – and kick back with one of four delicious rum recipes, created by top mixologists, using light and dark varieties.
Daisy de Obeah
A perfect marriage of minty and spicy
• 2 oz. Denizen Rum (or similar white rum)
• 1 oz. lime juice
• ½ oz. cane syrup (or simple syrup, which is 1 part sugar to 1 part water, brought to a boil and cooled)
• ¼ oz. Velvet Falernum alcoholic syrup (closest substitute is grenadine)
• ¾ oz. Strega Liqueur (or similar yellow herbal liqueur)
Shake all ingredients, except Strega, dry (without ice). Pour into a tall glass, fill with crushed ice, and stir. “Float” the Strega by holding the back of a spoon over your glass, then lightly pouring the Strega over it until it forms a top layer. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs or saffron.
• 2 oz. Caliche Rum (or similar white rum)
• 1 oz. lime juice
• ¼ oz. agave nectar (possible substitutes include honey and maple syrup)
• 8 mint leaves
In a mixing glass, lightly muddle the mint. Add the remaining ingredients, fill with ice, and shake until well-chilled. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass, top with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprig.
A summer drink with a hint of autumn
• 1½ oz. Ron Abuelo Añejo (or similar dark rum)
• ¾ oz. lemon juice
• ½ oz. agave nectar (see above)
• ½ oz. apple cider
• 4 – 5 chunks of apple
• 1 rosemary sprig
Muddle apple chunks in a shaker and then pour in the rest of the ingredients. Shake and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with rosemary sprig and one slice of apple.
Black Privateer Punch
A fruity party punch (recipe serves 35)
• 1 750 milliliter bottle of Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum (or similar spicy black rum)
• 3 750 ml bottles red wine
• 1 750 ml bottle cherry juice
• 2 oranges, sliced
• 2 lemons, sliced
• 2 limes, sliced
• ½ lb. cherries, pitted
• 1 liter cola
Chill all ingredients. In a large punch bowl, crush the fresh fruit to extract the juices. Combine liquids and add a large block of ice. Serve the punch in wine glasses with pieces of fruit.