Love iced tea? June 10 marks National Iced Tea Day, so to honor the refreshing beverage, break out the ice cubes (and the champagne!) to toast with one of these fun tea-based beverages. Perfect for cooling off a hot summer day.
Master tea blenders Harney & Sons are authorities when it comes to teas. Below they suggest a festive take for the day, while mixologists at N.Y.C.’s West Village restaurant Lowcountry have a boozy but delicious take on the southern favorite.
Raspberry Champagne Cordial
• 8 tbsp or 6 teabags Raspberry Herbal tea
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 bottle champagne or Prosecco (chilled)
• 12-18 fresh raspberries
Step 1: Bring ½ cup (120ml) of water just to a boil. Stir in the tea leaves and sugar and steep for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the liquid into a small spouted measuring coup, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible, and refrigerate until cold.
Step 2: Pour the champagne into 6 flutes. Slightly tipping each glass, carefully pour about 1 ½ tbsp of the chilled tea down the interior side of each flute. Add 2 to 3 raspberries to each. Serves six.
Recipe courtesy of The Tea Cookbook by master tea blender and Harney family patriarch, John Harney, with Joanna Pruess.
Lowcountry Iced Tea
• First muddle 4 mint leaves and 3-4 blackberries
• Add ½ oz. simple syrup
• Add 1 ¾ oz. of Firefly sweet tea bourbon
• ¼ oz. of fresh lemon juice • Top with splash of water, shake and strain over ice
• Garnish with lemon and mint leaves