Katie Couric has done a lot of baking on her eponymous talk show, but there’s one sweet recipe that stands out from the rest she’s tried.
These lemon bars, seen in Nick Katsoris’s Loukoumi’s Celebrity Cookbook, are a “family tradition,” the TV journalist says – and the perfect end to any summer meal.
• ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
• 2 cups plus 6 Tbsp. flour, divided
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup room-temperature butter, sliced into 8 pieces
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups sugar
• 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
• Grated rind of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 13 9-in. baking pan.
2. In a food processor, blend confectioners’ sugar, 2 cups flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Press into pan and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, beat eggs, 2 cups sugar, 6 Tbsp. flour and lemon juice until well combined. Stir in lemon rind. Pour on top of hot crust and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Cool completely, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from Loukoumi’s Celebrity Cookbook by Nick Katsoris, Nk Pubns, 2011.