Max Lomas, a friend of Bobbi Kristina Brown‘s who found her unresponsive in the bathtub on Saturday, has had legal trouble in the past, but his lawyer says that has nothing to do with the Brown situation.
“He is devastated by the news of her medial condition,” says Lomas’s lawyer Philip A. Holloway.
The suspicions rise from the fact that Lomas was charged with drug and firearm possession on Jan. 14. Roswell police were originally called to his residence that day because of allegations that Lomas was holding his girlfriend against her will and drugged her.
Holloway adds that Lomas is not a convicted felon (he pled not guilty to the Jan. 14 charge) and that there has been no formal or informal suggestion of Lomas’s involvement, in terms of wrongdoing, with the Brown incident.
“There’s been no indication that he’s facing charging,” Holloway says. “He was just a guy doing the best he could to get help for his friend.”
“She appeared to be lifeless at that point in time. He pulled her out and he was the one who called 911 and initiated the medical process,” Holloway explains.
Despite their longstanding friendship, Lomas has been unable to visit Brown – who remains unresponsive in the hospital – due to limited access within the treatment facilities.
Still, Lomas’s attention is on Brown’s recovery.
“His primary focus at this point in time is that he wants to get his good friend back,” Holloway says. “He continues to hope for her full and complete recovery.”
For more on Bobbi Kristina’s hospitalization, pick up the new issue of PEOPLE magazine, on newsstands Friday.
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown:
• Houston Family Had Restraining Order Against Bobbi Kristina’s ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon
• Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married’
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is Still Unresponsive, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source