On Sunday she arrived in the French city with her two youngest children, David and Mercy, to visit the family of a French technician killed in the incident and injured workers at two local hospitals.
The singer said last week that she was “devastated” by the accident. “My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news,” she said in a statement.
Madonna, who dressed in black for her trip to Marseilles, was originally set to perform there Sunday at the Velodrome, a 66,000-seat venue where the accident occurred July 16 when a crane raising the roof of a stage set collapsed.
A lighting technician, Charles Criscenzo, 53, was killed on the stage, and Charles Prow, 23, from Great Britain, died shortly after at a hospital. At least eight other workers, some part of Madonna’s traveling stage crew, were hospitalized. A criminal investigation has been launched into the cause of the accident.
Madonna’s Marseille concert has been canceled. The next stop on her concert tour is a sold-out show in Barcelona July 21.
• Reporting by PETER MIKELBANK
from Huffington Post
WATCH: Paul McCartney Plays NY
PHOTOS: Celebs Who Get Lover’s Name As A Tattoo – Then Split