As Broadway paid tribute to Natasha Richardson Thursday night with a symbolic one-minute dimming of its marquees, the late actress’s husband, Liam Neeson, her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, and her sister, Joely Richardson, were comforted by Sarah Jessica Parker and husband Matthew Broderick as well as fellow actor Ron Rifkin.
Richardson’s family has requested that donations be made in her name to the amfAR foundation for AIDS research, according to family spokesman Alan Nierob, the Associated Press reports.
Natasha Richardson, whose father, Oscar-wining Tom Jones director Tony Richardson, died of complications from the disease in 1991, was a longtime supporter of the charity and had served on its board of trustees since 2006.
– Stephen M. Silverman
• 2004: Natasha talks about life at home with Liam
• 1994: Liam & Natasha wed in intimate ceremony
• 1988: Natasha breaks out onscreen playing Patty Hearst
• PEOPLE pays tribute to the stars we lost too soon
• Natasha’s life & loves in pictures