Happy birthday, Kim! Today’s PEOPLE Snapchat Discover is dedicated to all things Kardashian to mark the milestone. Head over to PEOPLE’s Discover page on Snapchat to see today’s edition – and check back every day for all things celebrity/shirtless guys/everything in between.
Forget school – everything we need to know about life, we learned from Kim Kardashian.
Over the years, the birthday girl has taught us invaluable life skills, from how to take the perfect selfie (from a high angle) to the perfect birthday gift for your loved ones (rent out a basketball arena, duh) to the importance of hard work and family values.
1. The selfie is an art form.
Paintings are so 19th century – the best way to capture your essence, your life, your memories and your makeup are with a perfectly-executed selfie.
2. The perfect selfie is taken from above, with the camera capturing the best side of your face.
Trust her on this one, you guys. She knows what she’s talking about.
3. There’s no such thing as oversharing.
It’s just a matter of finding the right audience for whatever your need to get off your chest. (Even if that happens to be clothing.)
4. Maternity wear is simply a state of mind.
The only thing stopping you from rocking bodycon, sky-high heels and lots and lots of cleavage is simply your own lack of imagination. Don’t impose limits on yourself, or your closet.
5. If you find something you like, buy it in every color.
Even if those colors are only black, white and camel.
6. Neutrals are a rainbow unto themselves.
Did you know that “nude” comes in an infinite number of shades? Did you? DID YOU KNOW?!
7. Bodycon, bodycon, and more bodycon.
Even her sweatpants are bodycon, because she knows how to commit.
8. It’s worth trying everything once.
Yes, that does include vampire facials.
9. Anything goes when it comes to looking youthful and glowy.
10. Beauty is about one thing and one thing only: contouring.
The cheekbones of your dreams are just a few simple steps and several makeup brushes away.
Kim Kardashian Taught J.Lo How to Selfie!
11. But, sometimes, it’s worth calling in the professionals.
Look, contouring is hard work. Sometimes you just want to kick back, relax and cuddle with your daughter while your glam squad gets to work.
12. Lighting is everything.
Bad lighting, bad mood. Bad mood, bad selfie. Bad selfie, bad day.
13. If you’re feeling yourself, make sure everyone knows it.
Go ahead, show ’em what you’re working with! Be confident! Feel great! Post 18 photos of yourself in 24 hours!
14. And don’t let the haters say anything about it.
In the words of the woman herself: Can we live?!?!
15. Family comes first.
Yes, even before your glam squad.
16. In order to maintain a strong family bond, there should be no secrets.
Even the parts of our lives that are often kept, well, private are normal dinner conversation for the Kardashian family.
17. Your family can give you some much-needed perspective.
Like, say, when you’re upset about losing your earring in the ocean and need a little reminder about the grand scheme of life in order to calm down.
18. Birthdays are always a big deal.
We’re talking rent-out-the-Staples Center big.
19. If you did something, but didn’t take a selfie to document it, it never happened.
That’s just basic logic, right there.
20. However, there’s a time and a place for everything.
For example: The car ride on the way to drop your sister off at jail is neither the time nor the place for selfies.
21. A good prank never gets old.
Two words: Todd Kraines.
22. Sometimes, beauty is pain.
Look, swollen feet are no excuse for giving up high-fashion.
23. Treat. Yo. Self.
Whether it’s designer clothes, a day at the spa or just a bag of Cheetos, everyone needs to indulge from time to time. So go ahead and hit the vending machine. You’ve earned it.
24. Whatever it is you’re looking for might have been hiding in plain sight the whole time.
After all, Kim and Kanye were friends for years before they finally realized that they were meant to be together. Perhaps the love of your life is right under your nose.
25. Your wedding is your day, so don’t be afraid to go all out.
Go ahead, rent that ornate horse-drawn carriage. Tie the knot at an ancient castle. Have musical superstars sing for your first dance. It’s your party, and you’ll celebrate however you want to.
26. Less is more.
We are referring exclusively to clothing when we say that.
27. Time is best spent with the people you love.
Especially when they’re as adorable as baby North.
28. Everyone’s got an opinion about how to raise kids, even if they don’t have kids yet.
And the best way to deal with those people is with a well-timed joke.
29. Matching outfits are a must.
How else will everyone know that you’re the coolest mother-daughter duo in Hollywood?
30. It’s okay to cry.
31. It’s all about that hustle.
You don’t build a multi-billion dollar empire simply by playing around on Instagram all day.
32. Blondes do have more fun (at least for a little while).
That’s also true for brunettes who suddenly go platinum.
33. It’s always nice to be appreciated.
Obviously, we can’t all be appreciated to the level of a couple thousand roses, but any kind of nice gesture goes a long way.
34. Hang out with people you admire.
Between Serena Williams, Beyoncé and Jay Z, and John Legend and Chrissy Teigen, dinner parties at the Kardashian-West house are what our dreams are made of.
35. Live your best life.
The very best of all the best lives ever lived.