Kid Rock had promised to be well behaved as host of Wednesday night’s CMT Music Awards. And he was – mostly.
The singer-songwriter and rapper, 39, had to be bleeped while performing his opening song, and was seen doing shots in the bar backstage during the telecast. But in his opening remarks, he actually warned everyone else about their behavior.
“Just to be forewarned, if there’s any Kanye West-isms going on … anyone thinking of grabbing the mic, myself or Bocephus will personally punch you in the mouth, all right?” he said. “Maybe I’ll get Trace Adkins on you, too, then you’ll really be kind of messed up.”
Among his other notable lines from the evening:
• “I think they upped the 7-second delay to 10 seconds.” (speaking on the red carpet)
• “I know there’s no smoking! I got the memo. Calm down.” (to an audience member, while smoking a cigar onstage)
• “Sit down Paula Deen, we’ll get you a drink in a minute!”
• “Lady Antebellum is like the hillbilly Fleetwood Mac. I suspect they don’t do drugs and they’re sleeping with each other.”
• “I felt good at the beginning. Now I feel real good, you know what I mean?” (toward the end of the show)
• Will you just have my baby, and let’s just get it over?” (to Sheryl Crow, who replied, “If it’s a girl, maybe”)
• “I’d like to leave on this note right here: As a music lover, if it looks good, you’ll see it. If it sounds good, you’ll hear it. If it’s marketed right, you’ll buy it. But if it’s real, you’ll feel it.”