Sure there are lots of savory snacks when it comes to Super Bowl Sunday, but to former Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway, it’s all about the sweet game-ender.
Here, the former great (and current Broncos executive vice president) shares a brownie recipe on the menu at his Colorado restaurants, Elway’s.
John Elway’s Chocolate Brownies
Makes 12 brownies
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ tsp. baking powder
• ½ cup butter, cubed
• ½ cup cocoa
• ¼ tsp. coffee extract
• 2 eggs
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup sugar
• ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
• Vanilla ice cream (optional)
• Chocolate or caramel sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
2. Combine butter, cocoa and coffee extract in heat-proof bowl over simmering water, stirring until melted; set aside to cool.
3. Beat eggs, salt, vanilla and sugars on low speed with electric mixer until thickened; gradually add cocoa mixture. Gently fold flour mixture into batter. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is beginning to puff and center is just set. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Cut brownies into 12 squares. When ready to serve, rewarm brownies in oven at 350º for 1 minute, or microwave on high 10 to 15 seconds. Top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate and caramel sauces if desired. Serve immediately.