Hello PEOPLE.com readers! Allow me a moment to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer Behm, Gordon Ramsay’s Season 2 winner of MasterChef.
I am a lover of food-all types, especially spicy, I am a surfer, a wine junkie – and I would consider myself an equal opportunity offender, owner of Pink Martini Catering, a soon to be wife, an adventurer, and always up for a fun time.
Come along with me on my adventurous life navigating the male-dominated culinary world while chasing a 3-year-old little boy. I’ll also share tips on how to make your kids a quick, killer meal, putting together an elegant dinner party, finding a wedding dress that fits my “see food eat it” diet, and traveling to extraordinary and exotic places.
Now down to brass tacks.
Have you waited to the last minute like me to get a gift for dear old dad? They always say a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so make dad a meal that your family will still be talking about at Christmas.
My dad always loved to grill, but it had to be charcoal. Today we are spoiled by the convenience of gas, but there are a few ways to infuse that charcoal flavor into Dad’s favorites. Ironically, you don’t even need a grill to get these great flavors. NO GRILL – That makes my dad’s toes curl under!
• Add liquid smoke to your marinate
• Use wooden planks like hickory, maple, or mesquite
• Use smoked salts in place of regular salt
Here is one of my recipes my dad loves: Marinated flank steak. It is great because it is inexpensive, has great flavor and cooks quickly.
• Marinate overnight with garlic, red onion, lime juice, jalapeño, cilantro, a little agave, and four splashes of liquid smoke.
• Bring to room temperature to ensure even cooking
• Sear each side for 3½ minutes, let sit for 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute
• Saute the remaining marinade and de-glaze with ½ a beer for garnish. Then swig the rest!
If you REALLY want to WOW dad, get him a new set of grilling gadgets to go along with your fabulous meal. The headlamp and the animal-shaped beer koozies are what my dad is getting this year! Shhh, let’s keep that our secret.
So, Happy Father’s Day to all the dads, grandfathers, uncles and male mentors. And special love to my dad, my brothers and my fiancé!
Catch me every Friday on PEOPLE.com to see what crazy food and adventures I have to stimulate all of your senses!