The problem with most people’s attempts at weight loss is that they stop eating foods they enjoy and force themselves to eat kelp, kale and kippers.
While some of you may actually enjoy these foods, most of us miss the gooey cheese, tangy tomato and crunchy crust of a nice pizza.
The truth is, you CAN have your cake and eat it, too! Well, maybe not cake, but many other of your classic favorites can be slightly modified to keep you more than content, thus keeping your cravings at bay and helping you stay on the path of good nutrition (and a shrinking waistline).
I’ve been tricking my clients for years by giving them what they want while having them lose weight at the same time.
Here are three “healthy” versions of my favorite cheat meals that are all under 350 calories, high in fiber and protein (the duo that makes you feel fuller longer) and BIG on taste.
The first, “Vito’s Pizza” is named after my favorite pizzeria in Los Angeles. Eva Mendes loves this dish.
Vito’s (Healthy) Pizza
• 4 large whole grain or whole wheat tortillas
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• ¾ cup nonfat mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup chopped fresh basil
• 4 small Roma tomatoes, sliced
• 32 slices of Hormel low-fat turkey pepperoni or Yves veggie pepperoni
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for two minutes. Remove from the oven.
2. Ladle the tomato sauce over the tortillas and spread.
3. Top tortillas with pepperoni, basil and sliced tomatoes as desired.
4. Sprinkle cheese over the pizza.
5. Bake until the cheese is melted.
6. Cut the pizzas into slices and serve immediately.
The next dish is a piña colada-flavored smoothie that Kim Kardashian loves to start her days with. At 320 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 10 grams of fiber, this truly is the breakfast of champions.
Piña Colada Smoothie
• 1 orange, peeled
• ½ cup coconut milk
• 1 scoop whey protein powder
• 1 banana
• 1 cup pineapple, frozen
• 1 tbsp psyllium fiber (or chia seed)
Blend all ingredients, pour, and serve!
Last, but not least, the star of Dallas and the The Fast and the Furious franchise, Jordana Brewster, actually transformed her body while treating herself to my 5-Factor French Toast. With only 300 calories, 25 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber, this meal will keep your sweet tooth in check and your stomach full.
5-Factor French Toast
• 2 slices high fiber bread (at least 4 grams of fiber per slice)
• ½ cup egg whites
• ½ cup skim milk
• 1 cup blueberries
• Cooking oil spray
• Sugar-free syrup (or a touch of real syrup)
Whisk egg whites and milk.
Soak the bread in the mixture.
Heat skillet with cooking spray.
Cook bread one slice at a time until light brown.
Top with berries and syrup.
Tweet me your favorite cheat meal, and I’ll work on making a healthy version of it!
Check back every Wednesday for more insider tips on Hollywood’s hottest bodies – and learn how to get one yourself! Plus: Follow Harley on Twitter at @harleypasternak