In a 4-to-3 ruling, Colorado’s highest court on Monday upheld a judge’s ban on the release of details about the sex life of Kobe Bryant’s accuser, after the trial court accidentally e-mailed the information to seven media outlets last month.
“What the Colorado Supreme Court is saying is that if any of this information is ruled as possibly relevant to the case, it will soon enough be in the public domain. Until that time they have told the media not to publish,” says Cynthia Stone, a spokesperson for the Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old L.A. Lakers star, who last week re-signed with his team, was in court again Monday for oral arguments on whether to discontinue the release of documents through email.
Bryant, who faces four years to life in prison if convicted on the sexual assault charges, has said that the sex was consensual between him and his accuser in a Colorado hotel last summer.
In arguing for the motion, the alleged victim’s attorney , John Clune, revealed that his client has twice considered “removing herself from the case” because of the errors, one of which included the release of her name.
“Nobody else is being harmed by these mistakes except the victim in this case, said Clune, who then revealed that in addition to the alleged victim, two other prosecution witnesses have been threatened.
The judge, Terry Ruckriegle, concluded the open pre-trial hearing without ruling on any of the motions, including the media’s request to include cameras in the courtroom once the trial begins Aug. 27.