The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting, which takes place on Wednesday night in N.Y.C., has been an institution for 80 years.
And since its first broadcast in 1951, the ceremony has become a showcase for more than just the spectacular spruce. As Time notes, Barbara Walters, Bob Hope, Lily Tomlin and Liza Minnelli all participated in the festivities at some point.
In fact, recent years have seen the event grow into an even more star-studded affair. Here are some of the strangely memorable moments that have transpired over the past two decades.
1. The time a nun made out with Mickey Mouse.
2. The time Britney Spears celebrated her 18th birthday, and innocence was officially out of fashion.
3. The time Destiny’s Child hung out with a brunette Jessica Simpson. (And Beyoncé made her own furry fashion statement with some strategically placed pom-poms.)
4. The time a then-unknown Elisabeth Moss did the Miley … way back in 2003.
5. The time Michael Bublé and Chris Isaak almost got into a fight. Simmer down, fellas.
6. The time Aretha Franklin showed how to effectively beat the cold, as only Aretha can.
7. The time Mariah Carey channeled Little Red Riding Hood, as only Mariah can.
8. The time Justin Bieber dueted with Busta Rhymes on a stirring rendition of “Little Drummer Boy.”
9. The time Cee-Lo performed with the Muppets. Can this group just become an official, year-round thing?